[Dovecot] which architecture to use?

GVG GVG gvgter at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 12 13:25:13 EET 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Charles Marcus
<CMarcus at media-brokers.com>wrote:

> On 3/12/2009, GVG GVG (gvgter at googlemail.com) wrote:
> > does this mean that having sendmail I'll be not able to have virtual
> > users?
>
> No, it means postfix is vastly superior to sendmail in virtually every
> aspect, one of the main being simplicity in configuration...
>
> > Will I be able to create with Roundcube+dovecot virtual users on the
> > fly?
>
> Creating users is NOT a function of an MTA, or a webmail client.
>
> Define 'on the fly'... Are you just wanting an administrative interface
> for creating user accounts? Postfixadmin is one that works nicely for
> that...
>
> But if you're talking about somethineg where anyone can just sign up for
> a new email account anonymously, then no, you'll need something actually
> designed to do that...
>
> Maybe it would be best if you outlined exactly what you are wanting to
> accomplish... ie, *why* do you want just antyone to create an email
> account...
>
> --
>
> Best regards,
>
> Charles

I'll first give a try with sendmail cause is already installed and people
here are not willing to change that easily! Is that the reason I found
documentation in the dovecot wiki for postfix only? I mean how to create
virtual users with postfix!

I wanted to give anyone the possibility to create an account. No specific
reason behind that. Just because its easier and quicker for the user!

Thanks

George