[Dovecot] I'm the beginner and I want some help

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Mar 10 03:53:54 EET 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 18:25 -0700, Seth Mattinen wrote:
> Wei Da wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I'm a software programmer and I work for a software corporation. We worked
> > on dovecot for a while. We want to add some new functions to dovecot. For
> > example, the mail stored on Mail-Server is plaintext, so we want to make it
> > encrypted. As the documentation was not too much, and read the source code
> > was too difficult for em. Would you give me some advice if I make this
> > specialty as a plugin?
> > Thank you!
> >

> Sounds like you want to write a new storage engine. See the "Cydir"
> storage source code for an example. Wiki page:
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/Cydir

Yes, Cydir is one possibility. You might also be able to do something
similar to zlib plugin. Opening existing encrypted files could be done
with a similar plugin, but you'd also need to make message saving write
the data encrypted. That probably can't be done without modifying
Dovecot's base code. Hmm. Actually it wouldn't require much, just
ctx->output would have to be moved to a public structure. Done:
http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.2/rev/a05a7a73b475