[Dovecot] hwo can i have managesieve protocol and cmusieve plugin work at the same time

Jelle de Jong jelledejong at powercraft.nl
Sun Mar 8 20:33:46 EET 2009

Stephan Bosch wrote:
> Jelle de Jong wrote:
>>
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> I would like to use managesieve protocol and cmusieve plugin at the same
>> time.
>>
>> I have used the cmusieve plugin for years and I now also enabled the
>> managesieve system. I got the managesieve system working but when I
>> activate the managesieve filter for the user the cmusieve sieve filter is
>> not used anymore.
> Yes, that is difficult for Dovecot v1.1 and there is no real good
> workaround. The Sieve implementation for Dovecot v1.2 does have support
> for executing multiple Sieve scripts sequentially, making it possible to
> truly force execution of the administrator's script before the user's
> script.
>
>> How can I have both sieve systems working, the cmusieve is for a global
>> all user spam filter, and the managesieve is for one user only. I don't
>> want the user to have control over the spam sieve filter, because other
>> systems depend on the location where spam is archived.
>>
> As a workaround, one may think it is possible to have your global
> x-spam-flag.sieve include the user's sieve script with the include
> extension. This will work, however, the CMUSieve plugin requires any
> included Sieve script to exist. A nasty side effect of this is that any
> user who deactivates his Sieve script through ManageSieve ends up
> deleting the link to it on the server. This will break the include from
> the global Sieve script and end its execution.
>
> I am not sure whether there is a proper workaround to achieve something
> like this for Dovecot versions prior to v1.2. Can't think of any...
>
> Regards,
>
> Stephan

Hi Stephan, thank you for your work, I own you a beer!

I can wait a bit more for the cmusieve plugin to work next to managesieve
protocol, is there a bug report that I can subscribe to so I know when it
will work? Is it a planned feature for the next release? It was just a
bid unexpected that activating a users managesieve filter will break the
excising global cmusieve plugin.

Thanks in advance,

Jelle de Jong