[Dovecot] Using account alias as login

Hugo Monteiro hugo.monteiro at fct.unl.pt
Sun Mar 8 17:45:32 EET 2009

Javier Amor García wrote:
> Hello,
>  I use dovecot with a LDAP backend for user account and aliases. The aliases
> are objects of the class couriermailalias.
>  Some users would like to use the alias address as POP/IMAP login instead of
> the 'true' account.
> Is this possible?.
> I am using dovecot version 1.0,10, from ubuntu hardy packages.
>
> Thanks for any answer,
>   Javier

Hello Javier,

I don't use couriermailalias, but i do use the qmailUser objectclass
which provides both mail and mailAlternateAddress attributes. As an
example, i would say that you can use something like

user_filter =
(&(objectClass=qmailUser)(|(mail=%u)(mailAlternateAddress=%u)))

and

pass_filter = (&(objectClass=qmailUser)((uid=%u)(mailAlternateAddress=%u)))

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Hugo Monteiro.

--
ci.fct.unl.pt:~# cat .signature

Hugo Monteiro
Email	 : hugo.monteiro at fct.unl.pt
Telefone : +351 212948300 Ext.15307
Web      : http://hmonteiro.net

Centro de Informática
Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia da
		   Universidade Nova de Lisboa
Quinta da Torre   2829-516 Caparica   Portugal
Telefone: +351 212948596   Fax: +351 212948548
www.ci.fct.unl.pt	      apoio at fct.unl.pt

ci.fct.unl.pt:~# _