[Dovecot] Maildir dirty syncs

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Mar 5 18:48:42 EET 2009

On Mar 5, 2009, at 6:55 AM, Matthias Andree wrote:

> Am 05.03.2009, 12:21 Uhr, schrieb Edgar Fuß <ef at math.uni-bonn.de>:
>
>>> Dovecot assumes it's the only one changing the cur/ directory
>> Does this mean "there's no program that's not dovecot accesssing
>> cur" or "there's no other process than this dovecot accessing cur"?
>> I.e., what about two dovecots on two servers with Maildirs on NFS?
>
> It basically means "don't change cur/ contents behind Dovecot's
> back, else it won't notice".
> Two dovecots on two servers accessing *the same* Maildir/cur/ would
> be just that.

The important thing is if index files are updated. If index files are
also shared on NFS, it should work fine.

And actually in most cases Dovecot does notice if cur/ changes, it
just isn't guaranteed to notice anymore. If cur's mtime changes
unexpectedly, it's rescanned. But if it changes because Dovecot did
some changes, Dovecot doesn't rescan the cur/ anymore later to see if
someone else had done changes at the same time.