[Dovecot] problems with dotlock

Mark Hedges hedges at scriptdolphin.org
Tue Mar 3 18:34:48 EET 2009

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > I tried using a pristine 1.1.11 source build with a
> > core_pattern directory that was owned by root, or by
> > dovecot, or by the user, but I still didn't see a core
> > there.
>
> In my setups it core dumps to the user's home directory
> just fine.
>
> Can you make any program dump core? For example:
>
> sleep 5 &
> kill -SEGV %1

Yes, that dumps a core, even as this user.  I had to change
core_pattern back to 'core' though, using /tmp didn't work,
even though I can dump the core in /tmp.  Well, a core
pattern of '/tmp/core.%p' does work for sleep/kill, but
still not for the test user with the dovecot failure.

> > > Could it be that dovecot uses setuid to change
> > > permissions? Application would need
> > > 'prctl(PR_SET_DUMPABLE, 1);'
> >
> > Interesting. I hadn't known about this before. I'll
> > definitely look into this and enable it if it appears to
> > work.
>
> Done, also improved logging:
>
> http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.1/rev/6e9ca7f7e2a1

Nope.  Applied this to a pristine source.  Still nothing.

I don't have time to work on this anymore.  I have learned
that fighting malfunctioning systems like this is a waste of
time/money.  Thanks for fixing the actual problem, though!
I look forward to 1.1.12.

Mark