[Dovecot] problems with dotlock

Mark Hedges hedges at scriptdolphin.org
Mon Mar 2 23:25:43 EET 2009

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009, Scott Silva wrote:
> > On Thu, 26 Feb 2009, Scott Silva wrote:
> >> http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-4897 shows how ...
> >
> > Thanks for trying to help, I tried this too, but as I
> > reported earlier, I had tried according to the ...
> >
> Did you do it like that kb article said, or did you just
> try; ulimit -c unlimited [enter] service dovecot start
> [enter] in a shell, because the latter won't work in
> CentOS because of the way it is setup.

Thanks for trying to help, but "I tried this too" in
response to your suggestion would seem to imply that I tried
it the way you suggested.

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> core dumping functionality is there, but I guess the
> problem has more to do with directory owner/permissions
> where it's writing the core file.

I was never able to get the cores to work.  Yes, /tmp was
publically writeable and I tried changing kernel_pattern and
all that, but none of it worked.

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> Ah, this explains everything. Fixed both your problem and
> the segfault: f831d12187d1

Yes, this patch fixed the problem when applied to pristine
1.1.11 source.

Will there be an update of the RPM at
http://atrpms.net/dist/el5/dovecot/?  It's hard enough for
automating deployment of new servers that I have to use a
downloaded RPM instead of using yum, since I doubt CentOS's
two-year-old version of 1.0.7 will ever be updated.
Compiling from source is a pain but I'll use it for now.

Mark