[Dovecot] sieve filtering setup

Jonathan Siegle jsiegle at psu.edu
Thu Jul 30 21:16:29 EEST 2009

On Jul 30, 2009, at 1:29 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-07-30 at 11:30 -0400, Jonathan Siegle wrote:
>> I recently found out about something called memcached. The goal of
>> memcached(server)[1] and libmemcached(client library)[2] is to store
>> maps in memory of tokens. So my key would be "jsiegle_sieve" and my
>> data would be my sieve file. So instead of the 10-20 million reads to
>> disk, we would just pull from memory.
>
> Then again, if you have enough memory your OS could be doing that
> automatically already.

Good point. AIX does love to use memory to cache filesystems. I think
I'll try to do some formal testing. The hooks appear to be fairly easy
to put into the sieve code.

> Or maybe if the Sieve plugin supports giving a
> separate path to downloaded scripts, the destination could be in a
> ramdisk or if you're using Linux: http://memcachefs.sourceforge.net/
>
> Also I'm hopefully going to abstracting out filesystem accessing
> code in
> Dovecot's index files and dbox code. Sieve could use this same FS API,
> and you could implement whatever backend to actually perform the FS
> access, like memcached..

Are you saying that it isn't possible to put the memcached hooks in
now until this work is done? It looks like I just put hooks into
sieve_script_init() to read from memcached before disk.

-Jonathan