[Dovecot] Clients and dovecot-uidlist

Thomas Hummel hummel at pasteur.fr
Thu Jul 30 20:24:28 EEST 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 07:04:01PM +0200, Thomas Hummel wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 07:30:27PM +0200, Thomas Hummel wrote:
>
> > I took for granted that it was that the client would download all messages
> > again since it might be confused by some UID changes.
>
> Is it correct ? Timo ?
>
> >  But I don't really see
> > why (on the IMAP protocol level) and I don't know how to reproduce it.

I'm asking this because I'm investigating if CONTROL may be on a local
filesystem (for performance reason) instead of an NFS filesystem :

I'm at a point where postfix(+amavisd+clamav) and dovecot on the same machine
is too much load.  Let's say I've got 2 identical servers and I want to load
balance postfix and dovecot between the two.  One simple solution would be to :

  . run postfix on one server (and having a not started ready to run dovecot on it)
  . run dovecot on another (and having a not started ready to run postfix on it)

In such a setup, I would want to quickly be able (if the server runing dovecot
crashed) to run dovecot on the other. If CONTROL is local, that may mean
starting from crash regarding dovecot-uidlist...

Another setup would be to run dovecot and postfix on both servers and to use
DNS round-robin, counting on the fact that once a client has done a
gethostbyname() or similar, it should have no reaon to change of server (maybe
the fact that clients like TB open many connections would cause a problem
though).

--
Thomas Hummel 	    | Institut Pasteur
<hummel at pasteur.fr> | Pôle informatique - systèmes et réseau