[Dovecot] Dovecot Versions and Debian

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Mon Jul 27 19:08:17 EEST 2009

Mario Antonio wrote:
> If you want to run Dovecot on Debian Lenny for a Production System (with
> Fast Upgrade System for Security Patches),
> What would you recommend?
> Stick to the current port with Dovecot Version 1.0.15 (1:1.0.15-2.3)
> Use Backports Version 1.1.13 (1:1.1.13-2~bpo50+1)

> Do you find any compelling reason for not using version 1.0.15 ?
> (Besides of ACL limitations ...)

It's ancient history. There are far too many improvements to list. The
first time you have a question with 1.0.15 we'll tell you to upgrade
before you'll get any help. I rebuild the package from sid:

1. Download source packages (orig, dsc, and diff files)
2. apt-get build-dep <package>
3. dpkg-source -x <dsc file>
4. cd into directory created by dpkg-source -x
5. fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage -uc -b

And it'll make the four dovecot packages.

~Seth