[Dovecot] Dovecot Versions and Debian

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Mon Jul 27 17:21:53 EEST 2009

Mario Antonio wrote:
> If you want to run Dovecot on Debian Lenny for a Production System (with
> Fast Upgrade System for Security Patches),
> What would you recommend?

> Stick to the current port with Dovecot Version 1.0.15 (1:1.0.15-2.3)
This version is ancient. The last release is 13 months old. Many bugs
have been fixed since then. Definitely not recommended.

> Use Backports Version 1.1.13 (1:1.1.13-2~bpo50+1)
With lack of a better packaged alternative I would recommend this one.
Dovecot v1.2.1 is already in Debian unstable, so it may end up in
testing and backports earlier than we think (i hope so).

> or Use any of the packages from:
>
> Dovecot v1.1 for Debian Testing (binary and source):
>
> deb http://xi.rename-it.nl/debian/ testing-auto/dovecot-1.1 main
> deb-src http://xi.rename-it.nl/debian/ testing-auto/dovecot-1.1 main
>
> Dovecot v1.2 for Debian Testing (binary and source):
>
> deb http://xi.rename-it.nl/debian/ testing-auto/dovecot-1.2 main
> deb-src http://xi.rename-it.nl/debian/ testing-auto/dovecot-1.2 main

As the WIKI states: do *NOT* use these packages for systems that need to
be *STABLE*! This is rebuilt every hour from repository commits from
Timo and myself and if/when one of us commits a mistake, your setup will
break accordingly upon upgrade. This is for testing purposes only.

Regards,

Stephan