[Dovecot] dsync - one or two ways?

Ralph Seichter dovecot-ml at seichter.de
Sat Jul 18 21:28:12 EEST 2009

Timo Sirainen wrote:

> > "Don't sync folders Trash, Junk, *.Newsletter, Boring.*"
>
> This wouldn't be difficult to add.

That's good to hear.

> > "Don't sync messages of a size greater than 2 MB"
>
> Why would you want that?

To save space? I was thinking about which message properties might be
useful for filtering, and message size bubbled up first. Lotus Notes/
Domino allows replicating databases with a maximum document size filter,
which is useful for low-bandwidth connections or if you can't afford a
volume flat rate for your mobile phone.

> Also if you later then wanted to sync it anyway, it would have to get
> a new IMAP UID since messages can't be inserted, and if client had
> already downloaded that it would have to do it again. So I don't think
> this is such a good idea.

Well, I wouldn't want a feature to cause trouble. It was just an idea.
The folder based filtering however is important to me, so I am glad that
you consider it a feasible suggestion.

-R