[Dovecot] multiple authentication mechanisms/passwords for same account

Tapani Tarvainen dovecotlist at tapanitarvainen.fi
Wed Jul 15 15:44:31 EEST 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 02:14:46PM +0200, Steffen Kaiser (skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de) wrote:

> > Or does it first map an account to a fixed authentication
> > mechanism/password and if it fails, others won't be tried?
>
> Did you tried?

No (still trying to decide if I should install dovecot).

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 02:16:47PM +0200, Steffen Kaiser (skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de) wrote:

> http://wiki.dovecot.org/PasswordDatabase/
>
> "You can use multiple databases, so if the password doesn't match in the
> first database, Dovecot checks the next one."

How did I miss that. Thank you!

> http://wiki.dovecot.org/Authentication/MultipleDatabases

Right. One caveat remains:

"Currently the fallback works only with the PLAIN authentication mechanism."

Guess I can live with that.

Thanks again, and apologies for careless reading of the docs,

--
Tapani Tarvainen