[Dovecot] SSL / TLS

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Sun Jul 12 21:41:50 EEST 2009

Timo Sirainen wrote:

>> As an aside, I see several other software projects now enabling the
>> compression option when establishing an SSL connection - any chance
>> you could look at enabling the relevant lines of code in Dovecot?  We
>> had this conversation some months/years back and it appeared simple
>> on the dovecot side, but there is of course only still minimal client
>> support (but at least we can break the chicken-egg situation)
>
> I remember it was a few weeks ago :)

Actually that ended up being mainly about the COMPRESS protocol
extension - that is interesting, but I personally doubt it offers much
extra over a simple outer layer protocol compression algorithm, eg
native SSL compression.  (However, would settle for either/both...).
Some time back you suggested the SSL compression fix was a one liner on
the dovecot side though?

As an aside would it help to have some sample code for zlib?  My problem
is I don't know where to add it for the COMPRESS protocol
implementation...  Zlib itself is pretty straightforward though.

Cheers

Ed W