[Dovecot] Problem with 1.2 and sieve: failed with unsuccessful implicit keep

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Wed Jul 8 23:11:08 EEST 2009

At 1247082407 time_t, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> "let the bug"? The idea is anyway that you return
> home=/var/mail/vmail/danjou.info/jd and set
>
> mail_location = maildir:%h
>
> That makes much more sense to me. I've considered making it an error to
> return relative home dirs from userdb, but that might break some setups
> that are actually working right..

Like mine. I don't think this is *bad* since it's, AFAIK, Dovecot
only use in homedir to expand %h. Or do I miss another point?

> Well, I guess there's some confusion about what a home dir is.. With
> Dovecot the home dir is always what userdb returns as the home dir.
> Dovecot doesn't care about /etc/passwd at all, unless your userdb is
> passwd. So Dovecot doesn't know/care that deliver is run as "mail" user,
> it doesn't care what /etc/passwd contains for the mail user.

Okay, sorry for the confusion. I don't know why I though it was doing
some chdir() in a part of mail_location, which has no sense.

> > where as mail_location is /var/mail/vmail/%h.
> > And almost all the mails (except the couples of ones I mentionned) are
> > delivered and still delivered currently.
>
> It's probably the large mails that cause the problem. Dovecot writes
> them to a temporary file under home directory.

OK, that would explains everything actually, depending on what you call
home directory. :-) If it's the user's home, it really has no sense
since nowhere it returns something with /var/spool/postfix.

Well, anyway, I changed my setup to return absolute path and it seems to
work, the mails got delivered.

I really suggest you[1] rather try to reproduce and fix the bug, or
really disallow relative path in home directory since it's seems
partly-broken, or maybe only for large file (your theory :).

[1] Yeah, I know, it's easy to say... :-)

Cheers,
--
Julien Danjou
// ᐰ <julien at danjou.info>   http://julien.danjou.info