[Dovecot] Concurrent POP3 Sessions Issues

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jan 30 01:45:36 EET 2009

On Jan 29, 2009, at 1:17 PM, Mauricio López Riffo wrote:

> 	I have problems with dovecot + ldap + nfs, we could't have more than
> 20 concurrent sessions of pop3, when user 21 comes, the auth process
> takes
> more than 1 sec and is incresing (while most users arrives, more
> delay in
> autenticacion exists) and my customers complaint about the service.
> We need
> support about 200 concurrents pop3 users, here is my details

Someone else was recently complaining about the same thing. Or was it
you? Anyway, dovecot-auth doesn't know how many users are logged in so
if the problem really is 21 *concurrent users* instead of n logins/
second, I find it highly unlikely that the problem is with
authentication.

My guess is that this has something to do with NFS. Perhaps start
Dovecot with strace -tt -f dovecot and then when it's slowing down see
what syscall it says is blocking.