[Dovecot] problem with some mailboxes (failed: Is a directory)

mikie at x.org.pl mikie at x.org.pl
Thu Jan 29 18:52:25 EET 2009

I have this problem with some mailboxes (actually Maildirs) on my system.
After some user's activity there is following information in dovecot logs:

Jan 29 16:24:28 mailserv dovecot: IMAP(username):
unlink(/var/spool/mail/imap/user/username/Maildir/cur/Sent:2,ST) failed:
Is a directory

User can not connect to his account neither via POP3 nor IMAP.
There is one workaround I know which is:

rm /var/spool/mail/imap/user/username/Maildir/dovecot.index*

But after some time (some activity of user) the problem comes back.

Mikie