[Dovecot] Killing Dovect, an unpleasant surprise

Stewart Dean sdean at bard.edu
Wed Jan 28 19:17:52 EET 2009

When it came time to upgrade DC or replace the certificate, I would find
the root instance of dovecot and do a kill -7 of it.  Within 20-30
seconds, all the hundreds of DC related processes would go away, I would
swap the executable or certificate/key and restart DC.  Very clean and
quick.

Surprise.  After switching from 1.0.15 to 1.1.8 and doing the kill, I
found that all the imap-login instances had been inherited by the root
(1) process and did not go away.
Yikes! An Unpleasant Surprise.
So instead of being down for a minute, I was out for a much more
noticeable 5-7 minutes, while I QUICK did an awk of the ps list to give
me the pids and then xarg killed them.  My boss asked me if this was a
pink slip notice. :(

Is this The Way Things Will Be?  Is there a new way to kill everything
DC related quickly and cleanly?
--
==== Stewart Dean, Unix System Admin, Henderson Computer Resources
Center of Bard College, Annandale-on-Hudson, New York 12504