[Dovecot] FOLDER INTERNAL DATA (uw pine header)

Charles Gregory cgregory at hwcn.org
Mon Jan 26 22:41:19 EET 2009

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 15:35 -0500, Charles Gregory wrote:
> The dovecot.index.log isn't modified unless something has actually
> changed.

Which I am hoping is a true statement if someone reads mail. (In this
case, things like 'new status' indicators and such).

>> Alpine actually updates the message with each read. In particular, it
>> updates the "X-IMAP:" line.....
> Huh? What does it write there? It should update it only when there have
> been new messages, not on every read..

I stand corrected. I just tested it, and it's *not* updating the 'X-IMAP:'
line all the time. The only thing it does consistently is re-write that
internal message with a new 'From ... (date)' line..... (sigh)

....which still leaves me trying to figure the best method of determining
when a user has been *reading* the mailbox..... I would really rather NOT
be reading through mail logs to find a login....

Hmmmm. Can I 'trick up' dovecot to generate an extra log record to a
*sepearate* file when someone logs-in? I suppose I could just have dovecot
log to its own separate log file......

Thanks for the responses....

- Charles