[Dovecot] userdb didn't return a home directory with v1.1.7

Ivars Strazdiņš ivars.strazdins at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 08:55:34 EET 2009

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 23:38 +0200, Ivars Strazdiņš wrote:
>
>> $ sudo /usr/sbin/dovecot --exec-mail ext /usr/lib/dovecot/expire-tool --test
>> Error: userdb(user1 at mail.example) didn't return a home directory
>>
> ..
>
>>   userdb:
>>     driver: sql
>>     args: /etc/dovecot/dovecot-mysql.conf
>>

> What is the user_query in dovecot-mysql.conf? Does it return a field
> called "home"? If it does, set auth_debug=yes and show the logs when
> running the command?
>
> Although I don't see why 1.1.6 wouldn't have given this error also..

root at mail:/etc/dovecot# cat dovecot-mysql.conf | grep quer
password_query = SELECT password FROM mailbox WHERE username = '%u'
user_query = SELECT maildir, 1000 AS uid, 1000 AS gid FROM mailbox WHERE
username = '%u'
root at mail:/etc/dovecot#

But I think I found the reason yet still do not know why this had happen...
Expire table had records with strangely looking timestamp record for
those two users. I deleted them and expire-tool errors vanished.
If this will ever happen again I let you know and show these timestamps.
BR,
Ivars