[Dovecot] Shared mailboxes support status

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jan 26 03:49:36 EET 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-22 at 14:11 +0100, Thomas Hummel wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 08:57:40PM +0100, Robert Schetterer wrote:
>
> > > I guess part of the answer is in the diffences between shared and public
> > > namespaces handling.
> >
> > yes and imap_acls
>
> My understanding of rfc2342 and dovecot is that :
>
> personnal namespace == private malboxes == mailboxes one's own
> other user's namespace == shared mailboxes == mailboxes one's own and somone else has access to
> shared namespace == public mailboxes == mailboxes everybody or only some user has
>                     access to but which don't belong to a particular user
>
> My understanding is that 1.1. support only personnal and shared namespaces (as
> defined in rfc2342) Am I correct ?

Yes. And too bad RFC 2342 used "shared namespace" naming for public
namespace. Even its examples at the end use #shared/ for other users'
namespace and #public/ for "shared namespace". I hadn't actually even
realized before that it used this kind of naming. Maybe we could simply
not use its naming at all, since I think Dovecot's private/shared/public
names are much more understandable :)

> Is the difference, feature wise, between 1.1. and 1.2, just the addition of
> shared namespaces in 1.2, and maybe, as you said ACLs ?
>
> What's changed regarding ACL ?

The addition is the ability for normal users to share their mailboxes to
other users using IMAP ACL commands. v1.1 doesn't have any of this, only
sysadmin can set up shared mailboxes.

> In short : what exactly are the difference (at a feature level, not a coding
> level) between 1.1. and 1.2 regarding those concepts ? And is the support in
> 1.1. of personnal and shared namespace (as in rfc2342) stable ?

Dovecot's private and public namespaces behave nearly identically, so
yes, those are stable.