[Dovecot] help on writing a rule for perventing spam

Giuliano Gavazzi dev+lists at humph.com
Mon Jan 26 01:17:28 EET 2009

On S 24 Jan, 2009, at 21:45 , mouss wrote:
>> From what I understand he is rejecting backscatter that is sent to
>> some
>> of his old addresses (with an identical forged sender,
>
> Note the "from" in "claims to be sent FROM...".
>
>> but this is
>> irrelevant) and from there forwarded to his mail server. Very bad. If
>> you have configured forwarding somewhere you must be prepared to
>> accept
>> anything from there, or else you will be the cause of backscatter
>> as the
>> peer server is a genuine server and not a spambot.
>
> you misunderstooood ;-p

whoops! I wrote "with an identical forged sender, but this is
irrelevant", clearly that was NOT irrelevant. I should have paid more
attention to that. Anyway, your document should not be just called
"backscatter how-to", as backscatter will have (if really such), most
of the time, an empty sender. The only exception are some idiotic
virus scanners.