[Dovecot] docecot managesieve global filter, service name

Stephan Bosch s.bosch at utwente.nl
Wed Jan 21 21:29:59 EET 2009

Wolfgang.Friebel at desy.de wrote:
> I do have two questions related to the managesieve setup in dovecot
>
> 1) I did setup a global sieve filter, that is invoked if a user has no
> other sieve filter. If a user installs a sieve filter and activates it
> (PUTSCRIPT, SETACTIVE) then the sieve filter gets compiled (.sievec) and
> deliver does use it.
>
> If I want to deactivate the filter (SETACTIVE "") only the symlink (to
> the .sieve script) is removed, the .sievec file remains intact. On the
> other hand the dovecot documentation reads
> (http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Sieve):
>
> To stop using sieve, both the .sieve source file and the compiled
> .sievec file must be deleted
>
> How can I let a user switch between the globally installed sieve filter
> and an own filter. Activation seems to be ok, but deactivation would not
> result in the switch back to the global filter if I believe the docs.
The old and the new Sieve plugin (should) both require the original
script to be present. The binary is ignored otherwise. I don't know why
this is listed on the wiki. I suggest you test this first and remove
this from the wiki. Otherwise, it would be a bug anyway. I did check the
sources and, by the looks of it, this should work correctly.

> 2) To use the SASL authentication with managesieve the name of the
> service has to be given. In the managesieve RFC
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sieve-managesieve-09 I can read
> (page13): The service name specified by this protocol's profile of SASL
> is  "sieve".
Ohw, good point.

> On the other hand I can find in managesieve-0.10.4 in client-authenticate.c
>
> #define MANAGESIEVE_SERVICE_NAME "managesieve"
>
> The name is important for the Kerberos5 auth I am doing, as I have to
> provide a service key for managesieve.hostname at REALM instead of
> sieve.hostname at REALM. Currently I have adapted my auth to the
> "managesieve" service name but maybe that should be changed.
>
> My Installation: dovecot 1.1.8 patched for dovecot-1.1-managesieve-0.10.4
> Authentication using SASL (GSSAPI), contained in the perl Module
> Net::ManageSieve on CPAN.
Yes, it needs to be changed. I am wondering though whether it is a good
idea to adjust this for v1.1.8.

Regards,

Stephan Bosch.