[Dovecot] Move from 1.0.rc29 to 1.1.7?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Jan 21 00:08:17 EET 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 23:02 +0100, Peter Lindgren wrote:
> Timo Sirainen skrev:
> > On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 22:35 +0100, Peter Lindgren wrote:
> >> The new server seems to have this function on by default, can I force
> >> this renaming (by will or by mistake)?
> >
> > Dovecot v1.1 will add the ,W= file sizes to file names always, it's not
> > configurable. But it works fine even if the sizes don't exist all files.
>
> I tested now with a folder with a handful of messages. Works fine, and
> the filenames are without ,W=filesize (as copied from old server).
>
> My question is: can I force dovecot to recalculate the size and do a
> rename on existing files? Just so I know I can't do it by accident when
> I'm under time pressure and have to wait a long time...

If you change the maildir filename you'll change the base filename,
which means the messages will get new IMAP UIDs. You don't really want
that. So there's no way to force Dovecot to do that either. But I don't
really see a need for it either. If Dovecot v1.1 doesn't have the file
size it calculates it and then writes it to dovecot-uidlist, that's just
as good as it being in the filename.