[Dovecot] multiple passwords in different schemes

Maciej Uhlig maciej.uhlig at us.edu.pl
Tue Jan 20 22:42:58 EET 2009

Timo Sirainen:
> If the password is the same in both cases, you can simply use a single
> CRAM-MD5 scheme. Dovecot can do plaintext authentication against all
> schemes just fine.

Actually I happen not to understand the above :-(  I thought PLAIN is a
plaintext schema while CRAM-MD5 is non-plaintext schema and it's
impossible to have the same password in mixed schemas stored in one
database used for different authentication mechanisms (i.e. PLAIN and
CRAM-MD5). Moreover there is no fallback using mechanism other than
PLAIN. What am I missing here?

Yes, the password is the same in both cases, but it is stored twice: as
a MD5 hash and as a CRAM-MD5 hash.

Best regards,

MU