[Dovecot] Dovecot optimisation

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Tue Jan 20 20:46:33 EET 2009

Proskurin Kirill wrote:
> Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> On Jan 20, 2009, at 6:05 AM, Proskurin Kirill wrote:
>>
>>> But dovecot -n don`t show things like a login_max_processes_count and
>>> other thing what I think must be a bootle neck.
>>
>> It doesn't show it, because you're using the default value for it.
>> Anyway if you think login processes is the bottleneck, you can try if
>> setting login_process_per_connection=no helps.
>> http://wiki.dovecot.org/LoginProcess
>>

> Problem what I don`t know were is a bottle neck and I don`t know how to
> find it. I turn on mail_debug and all other but it not show anything
> what I look.
>
> I just increes all things what may be was a bottle neck and... seams to
> fix it. But I really want to know what it is was.

Setting "login_process_per_connection = no" is much more scalable for
large environments. Obviously there is a slight security trade off. You
can confirm if it's a login bottleneck by looking to see if you have the
maximum number of "imap-login" processes (default is 128) rather than
just arbitrarily increasing everything.

~Seth