[Dovecot] behavior of dovecot with Openldap

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jan 20 16:21:20 EET 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 13:53 +0900, Masaharu Kawada wrote:
> -2008/11/16
> The customer updated openldap package
> openldap-2.2.13-6.4E ⇒ openldap-2.2.13-12.el4
..
> For this reason, the customer wants to know why dovecot accessed only
> server2 since ldap package was updated on 2008/11/16 and also wants to
> know why replication had been failed after updating the package.

Any idea what Dovecot version? rhel4 had 1.0.rc15 I think? I know there
were some LDAP bugs in it, but I don't really remember anymore. Did
Dovecot really try to access the server2, or was it simply unable to
reconnect to the LDAP server at all? If the latter, it's probably just
rc15 bug.

> As you said, if both ldap servers are used ramdomly,

That was only a guess. If the problem was with reconnection, it is (was)
a Dovecot bug. If the problem is something else, it's because of
OpenLDAP library which I don't really know much about.