[Dovecot] Dovecot discards mail over quota

Gary V mr88talent at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 04:34:03 EET 2009

> Right, thank you so much. I thought there was something like
> delay_warning_time that could make c) a workable choice. In fact, now
> I remember setting that up on my production server (when I had one a
> year ago) so senders would get notified their mail was still queued:

But then this creates an additional bounce message and Charles makes a
valid point:

> Again... the only unit responsible for sending actual bounce messages is
> the SENDERS MTA. Your (receiving) MTA should only either ACCEPT (if so,
> NEVER generate a 'bounce' later), DEFER or REJECT.

However, I remember setting delay_warning_time for the benefit of
local domain senders, so they would get notification of delayed
delivery. If this is added, bounces to non-local domain sender would
be a side effect of deferring over-quota messages.

At any rate, thanks. I now have a good picture of what all the options are.

--
Gary V