[Dovecot] behavior of dovecot with Openldap

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jan 19 17:36:57 EET 2009

On Jan 19, 2009, at 3:04 AM, Masaharu Kawada wrote:

> In /etc/dovecot-ldap.conf, 'hosts=' field is the one which can be used
> to specify availabled ldap server to access from the clients to
> authorize.
> And also sevral ldap servers can be specified in 'hosts =' field as
> shown
> like below.
>
> hosts = ldap-server1.example.com ldap-server2.example.com

Dovecot simply passes these servers to the OpenLDAP library. It
doesn't do anything with them itself.

> ※both server have the same configuration and available to
> replication
> ldap-server1(master) to ldap-server2(slave).
>
> If this is right, how does dovecot know which ldap server is
> currently used?
> and if the master dies, how does dovecot know and switch to slave one?

I'm pretty sure that configuration will simply use both the servers
all the time more or less randomly. Unless OpenLDAP library has some
code that does something similar to what you're talking about, but
somehow I doubt that.