[Dovecot] Dovecot handling of over quota messages

Andrzej Adam Filip anfi at onet.eu
Sat Jan 17 22:02:07 EET 2009

Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> On Jan 17, 2009, at 2:36 PM, Gary V wrote:
>
>> Then a bounce is created stating the mail was rejected:
>>
>> Your message to <test at example.com> was automatically rejected:
>> Quota exceeded (mailbox for user is full).
>>
>> Question: is it possible (without changing code) to alter this to
>> where deliver would instead tempfail or something. Somehow it seems
>> wrong to me to tell the MTA that everything is good, and then silently
>> discard messages - regardless of the fact dovecot creates a bounce.
>> This is not necessarily ideal either, but I _am_ wondering if this is
>> configurable or not.
>
> a) deliver -e
>
> b) quota_full_tempfail=yes
>
> c) a+b

Are there any plans to allow MTA check recipient over quota status?

Sendmail support simple "socket map" protocol that can be used for
such queries.

It should allow to reject (not all) messages
a) in replies to "RCPT TO:"
   for messages with right message size passed in "MAIL FROM:"
b) in replies to "the final dot" for single recipient messages.

P.S.
Cyrus IMAP supports "socket map" :-)

[pl>en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi at onet.eu : anfi at xl.wp.pl
I bought some used paint. It was in the shape of a house.
  -- Steven Wright