[Dovecot] Maildir++ quota: When is it recalculated?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Jan 14 18:31:43 EET 2009

On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 17:24 +0100, Ulrich Zehl wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 10:18:30AM -0500, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > > but unfortunately, I'm not enough of a programmer, so I have to ask here:
> > > Should I be able to delete mails from a maildir, and expect the quota
> > > plugin to notice the change?
> >
> > I think it should notice most times, but not necessarily always. Can you
> > reproduce this with simple steps? Meaning that if maildirsize file is
> > either older than 15 minutes or longer than two lines, does Dovecot not
> > recalculate the quota when user is over quota?
>
> Yes, I can. However, the user is, strictly speaking, not over quota, since
> there are still a few bytes free. The new message would push it over quota,
> though. Does this make a difference?

Yes, it makes a difference. The recalculation isn't done unless user
really is over quota. Hmm. I did just consider adding code to
recalculate the quota also if adding a new mail would bring user over
quota, but it would require pretty large changes to the code.

How about you simply delete maildirsize file after deleting files from
maildir?