[Dovecot] Out of memory

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jan 13 20:19:35 EET 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 20:12 +0200, Uldis Pakuls wrote:
> Sorry for previous post with incorrect referrals/thread.
>
> For large mailboxes (64k + messages)  using maildir I got  random "out
> of memory" errors.
>

> [mail addresses hidden]
>
> dovecot: Dec 05 18:25:27 Error: IMAP(****@****): block_alloc(): Out of memory
> dovecot: Dec 05 18:25:27 Error: child 14142 (imap) returned error 83 (Out of memory)

Increase mail_process_size setting in dovecot.conf or just set it to 0
to disable the limits. Although only 64k messages shouldn't normally use
up the default 256 MB limit.. How large is the dovecot.index.cache file
for those mailboxes? mmaping that file is usually what takes most of the
memory.

> dovecot: Dec 05 18:27:29 Error: IMAP(****@****): file maildir-uidlist.c: line 1117 (maildir_uidlist_sync_deinit): assertion failed: (ctx->locked)

This is probably unrelated, but shouldn't happen either. Do you see them
often? Or does it always happen among these out of memory errors?