[Dovecot] Error: sieve_execute_bytecode(/var/sieve/global.sievec) failed

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Tue Jan 13 09:41:34 EET 2009

Timo Sirainen schreef:
> On Jan 12, 2009, at 9:38 PM, Gary V wrote:
>
>> I'm just getting familiar with Dovecot. I get this error when I send
>> mail to a mailbox that is over quota. I have no problem with the way
>> quota is working and I have no problem with the sieve script detecting
>> spam and delivering it to the Spam folder. Just trying to figure out
>> why I get this error when quota is involved:
>>
>> Error: sieve_execute_bytecode(/var/sieve/global.sievec) failed
>
> The Sieve plugin's logging is kind of stupidly done. I don't think I'm
> going to try to fix it though, v1.2 has a completely new Sieve
> implementation with much saner logging.

For clarity, Timo means that this obscure error is normal for cmusieve
when storing/forwarding the message fails somehow. The actual error
message is reported a few lines earlier in the logs, i.e. right before
the equally descriptive 'Generic Error' message. This is your quota
error in this case.

The new Sieve implementation significantly improves this.

Regards,

--
Stephan Bosch
stephan at rename-it.nl