[Dovecot] 1.1.6: PAM passdb/userdb (mis)configuration

Oved Ben-Aroya oved+dovecot at xor.technion.ac.il
Tue Jan 13 09:14:44 EET 2009

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 09:14:06AM -0500, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Jan 12, 2009, at 2:28 AM, Oved Ben-Aroya wrote:
>
> >which work fine, except for Outlook/OL Express users that are asked
> >for
> >their password whenever they "send/receive"...  We've had also
> >"passdb shadow"
> >that somehow "fixed" this
>
> This really makes no sense. Outlook doesn't know if you're using PAM
> or shadow. Do you mean that Outlook anyway can successfully log in,
> but just asks the password all the time?

Sorry I was not clear in my description of the problem.
Yes, users of Outlook log in and read their mail just fine.  However,
whenever they want to refresh the inbox or send mail, they are presented
with a login window of Outlook.  With the "passdb shadow" directive that somehow
crept in, Outlook users were not asked for password after they logged in
(however this broke the password exiration).

All our users are defined in ldap, and both passwd and shadow for the users
are obtained from ldap (pointed to by /etc/nsswitch.conf).  PAM authentication
for users is via ldap.

I wonder if we need to enable authentication cache?

TIA,
--
\Oved
Dr. Oved Ben-Aroya, Head Unix group, Taub Computer Center, Technion