[Dovecot] Restoring individual messages from a backup into a Maildir setup?

Thomas Harold thomas-news at nybeta.com
Fri Jan 9 00:02:44 EET 2009

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 16:35 -0500, Thomas Harold wrote:
>>> What was it logging? I think it should have clearly said there about
>>> permission errors.
>>>
>> Oh, all sorts of errors in /var/log/messages:
>>
>> Jan  8 14:48:59 fvs-pri setroubleshoot: SELinux is preventing access to
>> files with the label, file_t. For complete SELinux messages.
>>   run sealert -l 8e0628b1-d30a-4390-8364-a899e0d1162b
> ..
>> My first inclination was to look at the dovecot-deliver.log file (per
>> log_path or info_log_path).  It wasn't until I went looking for SELinux
>> errors that I discovered that it was a labeling problem.
>
> That's what I meant, did Dovecot not log anything?

None that I could find.  At 14:48, there's nothing in the
dovecot-deliver.log file (set in the "protocol lda" section of our
dovecot.conf).

But our logging section at the top of the dovecot.conf file is:

##
## Logging
##

# Log file to use for error messages, instead of sending them to syslog.
# /dev/stderr can be used to log into stderr.
#log_path = /var/log/dovecot.log

# Log file to use for informational and debug messages.
# Default is the same as log_path.
#info_log_path =

So I'm not sure that is configured correctly to actually log errors.

Currently running dovecot.x86_64 1:1.1.6-0_83.el5 from atrpms.  We'll
probably upgrade to 1.1.7 soon (a manual process for us since we're
doing maildir delivery with separate userids and a setuid executable).