[Dovecot] ManageSieve woes

Rodti MacLeary rodti at macleary.com
Thu Jan 8 12:57:50 EET 2009

Hi everyone,

New to the list, and fairly confident that this issue is purely down to my
own idiocy, so please go easy on me!

I've been running Dovecot 1.0.13 on Debian (via Aptitude package) for some
time, and have been delighted with it.  For a while I've toyed with the
idea of using ManageSieve as there's a nice plugin for Roundcube, so I'm
trying to follow the how-to at http://wiki.dovecot.org/ManageSieve.

First of all I've downloaded the Dovecot 1.1.7 source and compiled it
myself.  I've patched it using the appropriate ManageSieve 1.1.7 diff file
referenced in the how-to, and it all appears to be running fine.

The next step is to compile the ManageSieve 0.10.4 source itself.  I've
extracted the tarball and attempted ./configure, but it's failing with the
following errors:

    ./configure: line 19826: cd: ../dovecot: No such file or
    directory
    ./configure: line 19829: cd: ../dovecot-sieve-1.1: No such file or
    directory

       dovecot-config not found from
/home/user/dovecot-1.1-managesieve-0.10.4,
    use --with-dovecot=PATH to give path to compiled Dovecot sources or to
    directory with the installed dovecot-config file.

    configure: error: dovecot-config not found

I'm not entirely sure what I'm supposed to be pointing --with-dovecot to
here.  I've tried the Dovecot 1.1.7 source, and /etc/dovecot.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Rodti