[Dovecot] Apple patches 11-14

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Jan 7 20:49:19 EET 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-06 at 17:06 -0600, Mike Abbott wrote:
> Patch #11 adds a few dtrace providers to key points in the code.  We
> are still validating the correct placement and usefulness of these.
> One cool thing about dtrace is that when not in use the hooks
> literally are just a couple of no-op instructions.

I'll wait until each probe takes only one line of code.

> Patch #12 increases many listen queue sizes to handle high loads
> better.  The new values are not necessarily the best possible values
> but they do allow more throughput.

Applied to v1.1 and v1.2.

> Patch #13 makes dovecot adapt to dynamic host identity changes upon
> config reload.

Applied to v1.2: http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.2/rev/829b6555392b
http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.2/rev/2609eca99495

Although the mbox change doesn't really do anything, because imap
processes never call hostpid_init() again. But sure it makes the code
cleaner. I made it a function so that the extra lookup overhead isn't
done unless it's actually necessary.

> Patch #14 covers three miscellaneous changes, to support more file
> descriptors and an "unlimited" number of mail processes, and a
> different default mail user.

I'll skip these at least for now.