[Dovecot] mbox to maildir migration question and problems, dovecot-1.0.7-7.el5

Eric Sammons esammons at sammonszone.net
Wed Aug 26 16:21:07 EEST 2009

Hi,

I am trying to assist a customer with a mbox to maildir migration.  I have
them using the latest and greatest mb2md.pl; the one that support -K,
-U|-u.  They have seen overwhelming success with this; however, a recent
mbox introduced a new scenario and the result was that all messages were
replayed in the client UI.

The mbox in question had _no_ X-UID tags.  To work-a-round the issue the
customer performed the following steps.

[snip]
We found that the fix was to clear /var/indexes/$USER for the account and
log in and log back out.  After doing this X-UID's were populated for each
respective message.
[/snip]

The customer also noted that after the migration all messages went to
~/MailDir/new.

I would appreciate any thoughts on why this scenario played out the way it
did?  Is it expected that these messages should reside in ~/MailDir/new?

[config]
protocol pop3 {
  pop3_uidl_format =  %08Xv%08Xu
  pop3_reuse_xuidl = yes