[Dovecot] Dovecot + DRBD/GFS mailstore

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Mon Aug 24 18:51:14 EEST 2009

Quoting Guy <wyldfury at gmail.com>:

> I'm looking at the possibility of running a pair of servers with
> Dovecot LDA/imap/pop3 using internal drives with DRBD and GFS (or
> other clustered FS) for the mail storage and ext3 for the root drive.

I'm in testing right now with this setup.  Two Dell PE 2900 servers
(quad core @ 2.3 GHz, 8 GB RAM, raid 10 for the GFS+DRBD disk, raid 1
for the ext3 disks).  Running DRBD as a master/master setup.

I added a third node for webmail (Dell PE 2650), but it doesn't do the
DRBD or GFS.  It is there mostly to make a 3-node cluster versus 2-node
cluster, to avoid split-brain type situations.  And of course to do the
webmail. :)

Using MailScanner as the MTA, dovecot for pop/imap, mailman for mailing
lists, Horde/IMP/etc for webmail.   All held together with RHCS on CentOS
5.3.

All services run on only one node at a time, with failover...  This may
or may not help with GFS lock contention (not for /var/spool/mail, since
it is always accessed from both nodes at once, but yes for dovecot indexes
since they are only ever accessed on one node at a time, etc).  This is
probably where performance will really be decided (GFS lock contention).

Cluster Status for mailer @ Mon Aug 24 10:27:12 2009
Member Status: Quorate

  Member Name                             ID   Status
  mailer1-hb.localdomain                      1 Online, rgmanager
  mailer2-hb.localdomain                      2 Online, Local, rgmanager
  webmail1-hb.localdomain                     3 Online, rgmanager

  Service Name                   Owner (Last)                   State