[Dovecot] Gotchas in switching from one server to another without impacting users?

Thomas Suckow tsuckow at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 17:40:37 EEST 2009

I would move the imap.* to a neverland address while doing the switch
so users arn't opening email while files are being rsynced.

OR, just add a firewall rule to old server blocking imap.

I would also send a notice to uses a few days (preferably a week in a
large setup) saying that email may be intermittently unavailable at
9pm on bla bla day while we perform maintenance on our servers to
improve our service to you.

Have a place on your site where they can check the status of the move
and it should avoid "most" phone calls.

Thomas Suckow