[Dovecot] v2.0 configuration parsing

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Aug 10 22:15:59 EEST 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-10 at 12:09 -0700, Daniel L. Miller wrote:
> If at all possible, I would much rather see an error thrown than
> choosing which one to accept.  To me, having Dovecot tolerate broken
> configurations is less desirable than giving clear feedback for the user
> to fix it.  Anything from:
>
> "foo" is defined more than once
> overlapping ip declarations
> "remote_ip" declaration in protocol "imap" conflicts with "remote_ip"
> declaration in protocol "all"

It's not necessarily a broken configuration. For example you could have:

disable_plaintext_auth = yes # default also
remote_ip 192.168.0.0/16 {
  # allow plaintext auth from intranet
  disable_plaintext_auth = no
}

That's an ok configuration, right? But then again, maybe one of those
IPs is a proxy to outside world and you don't want plaintext auth from
there:

remote_ip 192.168.123.44 {
  disable_plaintext_auth = yes
}

But I guess if there truly are some conflicts it could warn about
them .. although that might be more work than it's worth. :)