[Dovecot] sieve vacation response

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de
Mon Aug 10 11:52:31 EEST 2009

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-08-07 at 20:26 +0200, Jure Pečar wrote:

>>> I don't think the above really needs a dict? Rather maybe there's a way
>>> to have the script check the original unexpanded address. Is it stored
>>> in some specific header, or how would Dovecot/Sieve know about it?
>>
>> I agree - for example, we have X-Original-To. I'll suggest our team to
>> match against that header.
>
> What about Delivered-To?

Not all MTAs add this header, e.g. stock sendmail. In case of a stock
sendmail installation there is _no_ evidence of the RCPT TOs at all, if
there is not exactly one recipient.

I would re-raise my suggestion to have:

localPart -or- localPart@*

matches any domain or - if I just read it, I prefer this - an
admin-defined list of domains.

This would at least won't require a dict and will fail, if one hosts
at least two distinct domains and a mail is sent to

localPart at example.com   explicitly, but
localPart at example.net   implicitly (same local part, domain clash).

Moreover, locally I have users, who do selectivly pick particular
(recipient) domains, which to respond to, whereas others want that "it
just works". To trigger to fetch aliases from the dict should be
controllable by each user, e.g. an empty :addresses list or a "*" in the
list pulls the default from there or something like that.

Regards,

- --
Steffen Kaiser