[Dovecot] Dovecot pop3 and SonicWall?

Brandon Lamb brandonlamb at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 18:21:55 EET 2008

Hello

Has anyone else run into a problem with dovecot pop3 and sonicwall? A
week after switching to dovecot we had two local customers call and
report they could no longer download emails with attachments. It
turned out to be the email macro filter on the router. After the first
report I thought maybe the customer had just changed something or it
was a fluke, but then a day later we had the second call with the same
issue. For some reason, after us switching the sonicwall's email macro
filter was catching any attachments as a threat.

I couldnt see how changing pop3 servers could affect that, but I guess
anything is possible. I just emailed sonicwall and am waiting for a
response from them now as well. Hopefully maybe someone has heard of
this before. Unfortunately, I dont know if this was pure coincidence,
or if both customers happened to have updated their sonicwall
software, or maybe it autoupdates, I have no information on it.Of
course to them it looks like we broke it. We just had them both turn
this rule off for now.