[Dovecot] cannot use password-file for userdb

Albert E. Whale aewhale at ABS-CompTech.com
Sun Oct 26 16:17:59 EET 2008

Albert E. Whale wrote:
> OK, I am attempting to use the userdb connection to facilitate per user
> migration to Maildir format from mbox.  Here's the first user:
>
> more /home/dovecot.passwd
> health:$1$MCtvt/Tz$FmKqU/cbWlBhKnhc5W.Ko.:1152:1152:/home/health:userdb_mail=maildir:~/Maildir
>
> The configuration was set up as:
>
>   userdb passwd {
>    }
>
> I changed this to:
>
>   userdb passwd-file {
>     args = /home/dovecot.conf
>   }
>
> And unfortunately the dovecot daemon dies after successfully launching.
>
> Suggestions?

The dovecot password file is really /home/dovecot.passwd, but this still
does not resolve the authentication issue for user health.

Still seeking suggestions.

--
Albert E. Whale, CHS CISA CISSP
Sr. Security, Network, Risk Assessment and Systems Consultant