[Dovecot] Maildir connection issues

Albert E. Whale aewhale at ABS-CompTech.com
Sat Oct 25 02:27:30 EEST 2008

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Oct 24, 2008, at 8:40 PM, Albert E. Whale wrote:
>
>> I was under the impression that you could migrate individual mailboxes
>> and set up the information via the dovecot.passwd file, i.e.
>>
>> health:$1$MCtvt/Tz$FmKqU/cbWlBhKnhc5W.Ko.:1152:1152:/home/health:userdb_mail=maildir:~/Maildir
>>

>> Is this not valid?
>
> That looks ok, but:
>
>>  passdb:
>>    driver: passwd-file
>>    args: /home/dovecot.passwd
>>  passdb:
>>    driver: pam
>>  userdb:
>>    driver: passwd
>
> You're using passwd-file only as passdb. That means it uses only the
> username and password field of the file. You'll need to use it as a
> userdb also.
>
> But can the users read their mail anyway? You said that they can't get
> new mails. Are you using Dovecot's deliver as MDA?

ok, being that I've never done this before, how do I fix this?

The users cannot find the Email in the Maildir because the setting is
not read.  Clues?

--
Albert E. Whale, CHS CISA CISSP
Sr. Security, Network, Risk Assessment and Systems Consultant