[Dovecot] Best configuration of dovecot for limit Outlook problems with IMAP

Alessio Cecchi alessio at skye.it
Thu Oct 23 19:53:21 EEST 2008

Hi,

in some installation where users using IMAP and Outlook Express I have some
problems.

Outolook randomly presents problems in messages retrieving, for example:

"Outlook Express is unable to retrieve the requested message because the
server no longer has the message available.... server response: Fecth
Completed"

or

"Message could not be displayed" error message when I try to view an Outlook
Express e-mail message

I'm using dovecot 1.1.4 with qmail and vpopmail.

This is my dovecot configure options:

./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc/dovecot --localstatedir=/var --with-ssldir=/etc/ssl

and this my dovecot config:

# dovecot -n
# 1.1.4: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
log_path: /var/log/dovecot/dovecot-err.log
info_log_path: /var/log/dovecot/dovecot.log
ssl_cert_file: /etc/apache2/ssl/comun.crt
ssl_key_file: /etc/apache2/ssl/comun.key
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_greeting: Ready
login_process_per_connection: no
first_valid_uid: 89
last_valid_uid: 89
first_valid_gid: 89
last_valid_gid: 89
mail_uid: 89
mail_gid: 89
mail_location: maildir:~/Maildir
mail_debug: yes
mail_plugins: quota imap_quota
imap_client_workarounds: outlook-idle delay-newmail
namespace:
  type: private
  separator: .
  prefix: INBOX.
  inbox: yes
  list: yes
  subscriptions: yes
auth default:
  verbose: yes
  debug: yes
  passdb:
    driver: checkpassword
    args: /home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw
  userdb:
    driver: prefetch
    args: uid=89 gid=89 home=/home/vpopmail/domains/%d/%u
plugin:
  quota: maildir

What further changes to the configuration of dovecot could I do?

Do you have other suggestions?

Thanks
--
Alessio Cecchi is: