[Dovecot] Dovecot and quota enforcement - only reporting?

dovecot at corwyn.net dovecot at corwyn.net
Wed Oct 22 05:48:52 EEST 2008

I'm currently setting up postfix and dovecot with virtual users
(mysql), imap, and quotas. I'm setting the quotas using mysql.

I have quotas working correctly, and I can telnet into the imap
server, and submit
. getquotaroot inbox
and get back valid quota information. I get a maildirsize file in the
Maildir directory. Very cool.

When I delete mail and expunge it, the quota updates.  However,
inbound email doesn't appear to update the quota.

Two questions, probably related:
What causes the quota (which I presume is the maildirsize file) to update?
Is there any actual quota enforcement, or just reporting? Because if
I send mail to an account, even if it currently reporting (via
maildirsize or . getquotaroot) that the user is over quota, they
still can send and receive email.

Thanks!

Rick

Rick Steeves