[Dovecot] Permission issues with subscriptions

Tue Oct 21 17:58:13 EEST 2008

I am having some permission issues with my setup and I can't see where to make
the change in the configuration files.

My users can not create folders at all from their email clients nor from the
web interface. I have noticed that each time I try to create a folder the
subscriptions files permissions are set to 000. If I go back and reset the
permissions to rw-r--r-- then everything is fine until I try to add another
folder.

running dovecot -n produces the following:
# 1.0.10: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
listen: [::]
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
verbose_proctitle: yes
first_valid_uid: 1000
default_mail_env: maildir:/mnt/hd4/MailBoxes/%d/%n
mail_location: maildir:/mnt/hd4/MailBoxes/%d/%n
umask: 511
auth default:
  user: nobody
  passdb:
    driver: sql
    args: /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf
  userdb:
    driver: prefetch

I am guessing that Dovecot is the actual process that is creating the folders
on the IMAP server, so where inside the configuration file do I set the
permissions for the new folders along with the user and groups?

Thanks,
-Eric