[Dovecot] displaying IMAP folders that are in ~/mail/ at same level as inbox

Laurent Blume laurent at elanor.org
Tue Oct 21 12:18:16 EEST 2008

David London a écrit :
> In the existing system I can see IMAP folders that are in ~/mail/
> with many mail clients (e.g. Thunderbird, Outlook, Seamonkey and
> horde).  These folders are presented in the client software as being
> at the same level as the inbox - i.e. not inside the folder "mail"
>
> On the new system, horde webmail shows the other folders in ~/mail/
> as being at the same level as the inbox.  But ... all the other mail
> clients above now show a folder (directory) called mail with the imap
> folders inside.
>
> Is there some way to set this up so these other mail clients see the
> imap folders in ~/mail/ as being at the same level as the inbox as we
> have on the old server?

Basically, you need to use the mail_location in dovecot.conf, as such:
mail_location =  mbox:~/mail

You might also need to check the files ~/.mailboxlist, used by UW-IMAP,
and ~/mail/.subscriptions, used by Dovecot. They contain the list of
subscribed directories, relative to the root defined. For me, they were
identical enough that I simply did a hardlink from one to another.

HTH,

Laurent
--
/ Leader de Projet & Communauté    | I'm working, but not speaking for
\ G11N   http://fr.opensolaris.org | Bull Services http://www.bull.com