[Dovecot] 1.2: Bug in listing of shared mailboxes with dot in user id

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Sun Oct 19 12:33:30 EEST 2008

Sascha Wilde schrieb:
> In dovecot 1.2 I can create a shared name space like this:
>
> namespace shared {
>   separator = /
>   prefix = users/%%u/
>   location = Maildir:/PATH/TO/spool/%%u/maildir:INDEX=/PATH/TO/spool/%u/maildir/shared_idx
>   subscriptions = no
> }
>
> now, when I subscribe to a shared mailbox of another user with an dot in
> the users id, like: users/2 at example.com/INBOX/foo and I list my
> subscribed mailboxes I get:
>
> l001 lsub "" "*"
> * LSUB () "/" "users/2 at example/com/INBOX/foo"
>
> as you can see the dot in the user-id got normalized to the hierarchy
> seperator `/' -- which of cause is wrong.  ;-)
>
> cheers
> sascha

Hi Sascha

It might be always a problem in shared namespace
( i think depended to maildir spezifications )
to share all thinkable usernames
i.e ich have maildirs from users like user.name at domain.org
seperator switch changing does not help for all cases
i may be wrong here, but i think cyrus fixes this by mapping
problem chars in mailbox names on the fly with , i also remember
a dovecot patch in the download area for fixing like this problems

i tried to use dbox format for get out of this Problems but i cant get
dbox to work for real use in all possible cases of my full virtual
domain setup, but i think it might be the best solution using dbox
getting out of char problems with shared public user mailbox names
as a dir full virtual mail domain struktur should look like this
( comming from postfixadmin ) ie. in file system
/usr/local/virtual/domain.de/user at domain.de
this should make it possible not just share between users
of the same domain, but creating shares cross all hosted domains/users

all belong to virt user vmail:vmail and managed over mysql ( perhaps ldap )
--
Best Regards

MfG Robert Schetterer

Germany/Munich/Bavaria